12 rue des Gobelins

Fly away a song

Name:
Location: Newark, New Jersey, United States

Poet, Lecturer in Cornell's English Department.

08 October 2006

Post-dated part (from Sunday):

Last night in Paris occured an event called Nuit Blanche. There were manifestations open all night. Linda and I walked around what at one time was a swamp paved over by monks. They call this district Le Marais. It is what would pass as the historical district, with buildings outdating Haussemann by several hundred years.

In a Gothic cathedral, loud atmospheric electronic music (comme Aphex) waxed and waned while Parisians swung ropes to which large stage lights (red, blue, and green). These lights briefly illuminated icons, cruciforms, and dark recesses. The acoustics set over 600 years ago wailed with reverberations entirely otherworldly. This was after midnight. People milled. Chairs in a permenant state of toppling were stacked in one corner from the floor to the height of the doming ceiling. Confessionals loomed. Candles flickered. The music stopped.


Dated today as posted:
If you picture in your mind what living in a European city of great import is, that is the neighborhood of Paris Linda and I live in. Attention: these people know more about simulacra than you. This is not advertised: this is tradition. We go to various stores with the suffix of -erie which sell general one product along a theme: fish, meat, cheese, paper, books, wine. The cheese and wine are almost free. So are the vegetables. Cold cuts, however, are very pricey. So is fast-food.

Classes have started, and Linda and I are students of La Sorbonne. I attended a colloque on Acadian literature in an amphitheatre that was flanked by 18th century paintings of Descartes, Pascal, etc. There is an importance here that creates an intensity that is hard to explain or fathom. Ideas propell themselves, solely because one feels they should be propelled.

Today, I will visit the Louvre with my Impressionism class (to visit the pre-Impressionists). Yesterday I began my philosophy course. Tomorrow, I will be instructed in French and La Civilisation Française. And the next and the next.

Linda and I are indebted much to a beautiful family on the borders of Paris. They have helped us with language, customs, cuisine, and a general feeling of home. They have opened their doors.

I wish you all to see something this glorious. My eyes are open.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Impressionists are not in the Louvre!!!! They are at musée d'Orsay.
I like your writing; keep it up. I'm so glad you are finally in your place.

Peace,

Stéphane

11 October, 2006 23:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is this all in chinese?!
Hmm anyway
it sounds so cool!
I hope you can follow your courses, assuming they are all in french?

12 October, 2006 15:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home